What do physics, geology, nutrition, fraud and high finance have in common? They all include amazing facts that verge on the incredible. Here are 5 great conversation starters will grab everyone’s attention at the water cooler, the bar or over a family meal…
- The earth is nothing if not fast.
- At 30 kilometers per second, our planet moves at a staggering speed around the sun. It has traveled more than 5,000 miles in the past 5 minutes. At the equator it rotates at a speed of 460 meters per second–or roughly 1,000 miles per hour.
- Precious metals are precious because there are precious little of them – that we can get our hands on…
- There is enough gold in the earth’s molten core to cover the surface of the plant to a depth of about 55 centimetres. Add all the other precious metals found there and we would be up to 4 metres deep in fabulous wealth. But wait a minute – with all that abundance and availability, none of it would be worth very much.
- How can you lose weight by eating?
- Stick to celery and apples. You burn more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. It’s the same with apples! And, a little value-added information – banging your head against a wall burns 150 calories an hour.
- Scams abound. But this one is unbelievable
- In 2006 someone tried to sell New Zealand on eBay. The price got up to $3,000 before eBay shut it down.
- Google this!
- The founders of Google were willing to sell Google for $1 million to Excite in 1999, but Excite turned them down. Google is now worth around $530 Billion.
Latest posts by Kevin Kinsella (see all)